Jun 13, 2009

※宜蘭美食行 A food-lover's journey in Yilan

My friend and I had a 2-day trip in Yilan (宜蘭) last week. Yilan County is a county in Northeastern Taiwan. Its name comes from the aboriginal Kavalan tribe. We lived in Jiaosi Township (碼溪鄉) and mostly toured around Luodong Township (羅東鎮). Due to unpredictable weather in Yilan, my friend and I had planned out this trip as "a food-lover's journey in Yilan".

Looked like Yilan didn't disappointed us after all.

※一週最愛Favorite of the week



Before the journey of food-lovers in Yilan begins, let's get to know geography of Taiwan a little bit. For a starter my geography of Taiwan sucks, so I need to draw a map to remind me where is which blah blah blah. Then I realized how chaos pinyin is. We have Tongyong Pinyin(通用拼音)and Hanyu Pinyin(漢語拼音) to help non-Chinese speakers, even I am confused after all those pinyin. Since we are all in Taiwan, the city in north of Tawain we called Taipei, the city in south of Taiwan we called Tainan, etc.. To make long story short, let's focus on Chinese characters for now. 台 pronounces Tai, 北 supposed to pronounce like bei in both pinyin systems, but now Taipei (台北) is spelled as Taipei...


Anyway, let's get back to my trip to Yilan at first time of my life. Please bear with me since I am not good at describing delicious food in English, look at the pictures and use your imagination, we will be just fine.


First stop, no name rice noodle on 135 Gongyuan road. This store is very close to Luodong night market (羅東夜市). It's too bad I came here during the day so I didn't have chance to participate.


The rice noodle here is thicker and softer compare to the one in Taipei, yummy!


Sausage-liked sausage. It may look as hard as regular sausage, actually it's soft inside and kind of sweet.


Second stop, no name mix-in noodle on 197 Zhongshan Road Sec. 3.


All the good stuff already mix-in by the owner, all you have to do is sit and eat and enjoy.


Wonton (餛飩) and fish ball are also delicious. The wonton here feels like mini steamed meat buns (小籠包) because there is sweet sauce inside of the wonton, but not as hot and hurtful as mini steamed meat buns.


Third stop, Linchang Pork thick soup (肉羹) on 109 Zhongzhang N. Road.


If pork thick soup means (肉羹湯), I guess pork thick will be that meat-ball-like stuff in the soup? Anyway, pork thick soup is a typical Taiwanese food, here is pork thick soup with noodle. The pork thick here is different than the one in Taipei, with less potato flour and fresher lean meat.


Let's have some sweets after all.

The ice cream of A-Jon(阿宗) basically is not ice cream, it's a kind of ice cream called Ba-Bu, a traditional Taiwanese ice cream, which is totally different from western ice cream.


Peanuts roll with Ba-Bu is from Yilan and the secret is all in that peanuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment